Sustainable Solutions for Greening your Restaurant|
2. Only operate your dishwashers and washing machines with full loads.
- Set the temperature for your hot water at the lowest practical setting for dish and clothes washing.
- Buy your food and cleaning supplies in bulk and eliminate as much packaging from these purchases as possible.
- Serve soft drinks from a dispenser rather than individual cans.
- Mulch your food scraps and donate the mulch to local farmers or garden clubs.
- 6 Serve meals on one large plate rather than using several smaller ones.
- 7. Donate retired dishware, utensils and glasses to charities.
- 8. Substitute biodegradable and less toxic cleaning products for hazardous cleaning chemicals. Minimize the use of bleaches, chemical pesticides and other detergents and chemicals. Train your staff in the proper storage, use and safe disposal of these hazardous substances to avoid risks to both staff and the environment.
- 9. Purchase environmentally friendly detergents for use with your EnergyStar washing machines.
- 10. For an environmentally friendly alternative to floor wax, try using 1 cup of white vinegar mixed with 2 gallons of water to mop linoleum or no-wax floors.
- Consider cloth instead of paper napkins, and reusable plates, cups, and silverware.
- If disposable rather than reusable service ware is used, look for recycled-content and/or recyclable materials.
- Purchase napkins, cups, plates, and utensils made of biodegradable products such as potato starch and corn.
- Serve sugar, creamers, and condiments in reusable dispensers rather than packets.
- Consider providing drinking water in pitchers or large reusable containers instead of small plastic bottles.
- Donate surplus food when possible to local shelters and food banks.
- Replace old washing machines with both water and energy conserving models.